Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sheer Egoism





As I sit here in my langue arts class again today, staring at my computer pondering what to write about, I think about what exactly makes me so into this blogging thing. There are so many other things that I could be doing as a senior in high school. There seems to be something appealing about writing for others to read. I can’t really explain it, or so I thought.

I thought about this topic for a while and didn’t have very much luck, until I read and essay by George Orwell entitled “Why I Write,” interesting huh..? After reading this I came to a little section in the essay that felt like after I read it, it explained exactly what I was thinking, but was unable to describe. He mentions four great motives for writers to write. (And yes I would consider blogging writing)

1.) Sheer Egoism- (The desire to seem clever, to be talked about, to be remembered after death, to get back on grown-ups that snubbed you in childhood.) As I read that first reason for why some write I was hooked, to me in my eyes is exactly what I wish to get back from writing. The ones that stands out the most is the mention of getting your vengeance on the adults that wrote you off because you were young. This is one of the most frustrating things that I have ever experienced, the fact that someone, adults usually, dis credit everything you say because you are young. Also what he goes on to talk about is how we intend to humble our selves and pretend that this motive is not the strongest in the arsenal. But I do think that most people trying to write for an audience intends to accomplish as many of these ideas as possible.

The second one that he seems to talk about that I also can relate to greatly is Aesthetic Enthusiasm. This seems to also trip something in my head that I would wish to accomplish; he explains it as Perception of beauty in the natural world. Of the desire to share and experience that has happened and wish to teach some sort of lesson. I love teaching lessons, whether intentionally or not. When someone can learn from you is one of the greatest things that we have to offer, and to be able to write about something like that I have a positive feedback from someone is awesome…..
Have a good day……

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Maybe some people aren’t meant to be in our lives forever. Maybe some are just passing through to teach us a lesson."

Aqueous Transmission said...

Come on anonymous, at least tell me who said it...?

PostIt Note Thoughts said...

Although I hate to admit it, something about your writing is making me fall in love with your blog.

Unknown said...

کوئی سمجھ نہیں آئی