Sunday, February 1, 2009

Heroes



As I was sitting down on a friends couch watching the finial seconds of the football season tick away, I started reminiscing on how much I missed college football, and remembered why I liked it so much more than the NFL stuff. As I searched you tube for some of the more insane highlights from this college football season I stumbled across one of the best montages I have ever seen. This excellent clips from the 2008/2009 season are put on accompanied by a new song called “heroes” by David Cook. This song is absolutely perfect for the recap of the football season.

Gets me thinking a lot about the words said in this song, talks about how all these “heroes” come and go, and it is quite a powerful thing to watch, as we see countless of these athletes, some only a couple of years older than myself, become such heroes in my eyes and the eyes of so many. Its incredible to see some of these images. The one that extra special is the clip where the Cincy wide out Gilyard ran into the stands after a ball and ran into a kid with the bear-cat colors all over his face. The kid cried for a bit, but was completely overcome with happiness when Gilyard came back over and gave the kid a hug and rubbed his head. The kid was soon surrounded with others his same age, and was even shown giving some autographs himself.

But the most important thing to remember his how these heroes come and go, and how they get 4 years to show what they can do, and they have so much pride in what they do its insane. The most special thing to see is a college athlete giving his all towards a goal, with no reward waiting for him, expect that of a trophy that goes to the university and maybe some bragging rights…. I hope college football is around forever.

No comments: