Monday, October 20, 2008

College Admissions


Tis the season that I am receiving 10-12 letters each day about how great this college in the middle of no where is. I have learned that this is one of the most stressful times I have been through thus far. They try to prepare us in high school for what we need to know, and if we don’t do good enough we are out of luck, demeaned unable to have a successful future. When in reality it is all a game, a game where people learn how to work to the system in there favor. But to me it is amazing how one person can change everything for you in these automatic grade books we call computers. Seriously to think about how much control high school teachers have over our lifeline to success (grades) is somewhat scary. A couple of changes in each of the computer of every class room, I am now saving 13,000 dollars a year. To recall all the pointless busy work I have acquired over the years that I have not bothered to turn in is now depressing to me. Then many of my friends are so consumed in how there transcripts look to colleges that it is completely taking over there life and it is sad to me. And I can confidently say that I would put my smarts up against there any day, in any situation. But because they spent 2 hours more a night, there GPA is better than mine and then receive a couple thousands more than I do, which the ones I am talking about probably have about 100,000 in there own personal bank account. I just feel as though the school system right now is not working the way they had in mind. I wish that some employers some day will be able to look past the fact that I didn’t get into the college that I wanted because my high school teacher didn’t like me, and in returned ruined my GPA, therefore “not being ready to move on.” (just an example) I think that to really have an accurate reading on who is successful in this area of matter is no longer paper tests, but the skills needed to live in the world and to perform the one maybe two tasks that you will need to know for your job. Never will happen but just had to let off some steam before heading to bed… Goodnight

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

isn't it a bad thing if you piss off your teachers though? Some of what you do in your career can be reflected on how you treat others. It may seem that you think school is pointless and GPA doesn't reflect on how well you might be ready for a job, but it does reflect work effort. And saying that you have a bad GPA because your teachers don't like you probably isn't the wisest thing to say. Just a thought...

Aqueous Transmission said...

you must not of fully comprehended what i was trying to say... what you stated is exactly what i mean, work ethic should be infact more important than the "GPA" that we all hear about... and they why we treat others should be way more important the the grades we get on any standardized tests...